Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Splendidly Festive Part I!

Sunday, September 13th, Spring Green Preserve was calling me for a visit. A perfect day of abundant sunshine and glorious insects was just the panacea I needed after enduring another one of life’s beatings during the prior week. The power of Nature can be incredible where even the most sadistic monsters melt away into nothingness. Nature: grounding, curative, exhilarating…and Sunday it was absolutely splendid, brilliant magenta and green Splendid!

Splendid Tiger Beetle

I arrived mid-morning on a relatively mild weather day. With the temperature in the low to mid 60s, the tiger beetles seemed less agile. I was feeling pretty Jedi with my tiger beetle stalking skills. I headed down the path, immediately eyeing a Big Sand tiger beetle running toward me. Freeze frame, captured!

Big Sand Tiger Beetle eating an ant

Big Sand Tiger Beetle eating an ant

Big Sand Tiger Beetle eating an ant (close up)

Next up was one of at least a dozen Festive tiger beetles I saw during my hike in the sand prairie.




In fact, the Festive tiger beetles slightly outnumbered Punctured on this day.







Since the Punctured Tiger Beetles were also seemingly more obliging, I seized the opportunity to add to my collection of photos of this species.


This summer I’ve become enamored with bee flies. They can be quite prolific during peak blooming season at Spring Green though only a few were seen on this day.

Anastoechus barbatus
Further up the path, in the main sand blow transected by the bluff trail, I found several more Festive, Punctured and a couple more Big Sand tiger beetles. I also encountered tiger beetle species number four for the outing, Oblique-lined, feasting on ants.




The robber flies were less cooperative. However I managed to sneak up on this Proctacanthus milbertii snacking on a sand wasp. Many others eluded my camera.

Proctacanthus milbertii with sand wasp

By the time I reached the woods ascending to the bluff, the temperature had risen into the low 70s. I was glad to find myself in the shade of the forest as I'd begun to feel a little cooked in the desert sun. A small migrant bird flock was moving through the woods mid-way up the ascending trail. Species included Palm, Black-throated Green, Nashville, Tennessee, Bay-breasted, Chestnut-sided and Magnolia warblers, American Redstart and Ruby-crowned Kinglet. This hike to the bluff top was my 5th or 6th in the past year in search of Splendid Tiger Beetles. Upon reaching the main rock outcroppings, I scanned the surface without success. However in what was but a few minutes of absorbing the vista and being lulled by the breeze high above the desert, the most splendid of the tiger beetles came into view! Admiring this brilliant specimen within inches was nothing short of amazing.


Over the rock ledge, I sighted a second Splendid tiger beetle. Eventually my presence disturbed them and they scurried into hiding. Shortly after, I spotted the third of this species also taking in the views of the desert prairie below…


Though I had intended to make the longer trek west along the ridge to look for the prairie Spiranthes orchid found last year, my energy was low and stomach empty. Thus I opted to head back toward the valley. Spiranthes would have to wait.

I did spend some time on the bluff admiring the moths and butterflies nectaring on the goldenrod before finally heading back down to the valley.

Black and Yellow Lichen Moth
American Copper
Wild Indigo Duskywing (not 100% certain)
En route down the bluff trail, I met fellow nature enthusiast, Mark Johnson, making the climb for something “Splendid.” He excitedly reported success with the four species of tiger beetle I had seen earlier. In addition, his Jedi naturalist skills also led him to find a family of racerunners which were a species I had not seen this year. Before parting ways, I wished him well on his quest for the Splendid tiger beetles.

Given I didn’t hike as far as I wanted, my intention was to return in a few days which I did. I still had Spiranthes to see and was hoping for a better view in daylight of Virginia Big-headed Tiger Beetle…Stay tuned for Part II!

No comments:

Post a Comment