Saturday, April 28, 2018

Finally Ephemerals!

With recent north winds I figured few new birds would have arrived yesterday morning. Same goes for today. So I diverted my attention to other nature endeavors.

Hepatica, Dane Co, WI 27April2018
I am mostly taking the day off from outdoor excursions since I suffered a nasty fall yesterday hitting my knee cap squarely on the pavement, jolting my already impinged shoulder and planting my binoculars into the pavement as well. Spring has arrived along with my extraordinary grace in maneuvering through life.

Pasque Flower, Walking Iron Park, Dane Co, WI 17April2018

Yesterday I decided to tour a few natural areas in western Dane county in search of spring ephemerals. Last week and earlier this week I had found pasque flowers, hepatica and dutchman's breeches on the verge of blooming. With recent warmer temperatures and the passing of time, I was hopeful to find the early spring ephemerals finally blooming. Nature did not disappoint.

Pasque Flower, Walking Iron Park, Dane Co, WI 27April2018
Last year I missed the pasque blooms due to the busyness of house-hunting and moving combined with trying to squeeze in birding during peak spring migration. So I was not going to miss them this year.
Pasque Flower, Walking Iron Park, Dane Co, 27April2018

My first stop was Walking Iron Park which has an impressive pasque flower prairie.  I arrived shortly after sunrise to find most flowers not yet open. However as I lingered in the area, more and more plants had spread their blooms.
Pasque Flower, Walking Iron Park, Dane Co, WI 27April2018

When I see pasque flowers, I am forever reminded of my inaugural encounter with this species many years ago, circa early 2000s, during what used to be annual trips to Grant County, Wisconsin to see the earliest of spring migrants and spring ephemeral blooms. These bloom on the Dewey Heights Prairie bluff above the Mississippi River at Nelson Dewey State Park.

Pasque Flower, Nelson Dewey State Park, Grant County, WI 9April2006!
Wow! Long before...
In addition to the flowers at Walking Iron, resident birds such as Chipping Sparrow, Brown Thrasher, Eastern Towhee, and Eastern Bluebirds, were busy singing and getting about the business of breeding. It's refreshing to hear the increased bird song after witnessing the birds struggle during our recent spring snow storms.

Chipping Sparrow, Walking Iron Park, Dane Co, WI 27April2018
I also picked up my FOY Dane County Lark Sparrow at Walking Iron. At the nearby Mazomanie Sand Barrens, I found another. Both locations are breeding sites for this species. This is not within my 7.5 mile radius patch. There goes any notion of me being a patch purist! I suspect getting this species as a patch bird will prove difficult. Though I could get lucky with finding one at some recently burned prairies in my patch.

Lark Sparrow, Mazomanie Sand Barrens, Dane Co, WI 27April2018
I made a spontaneous stop at Black Earth Rettenmund Prairie en route toward my last stop of the day.. I was curious if this dry-mesic prairie would also have pasque flowers. I found the answer to my question on the west slope.

Pasque Flower, Black Earth Rettenmund Prairie, Dane Co, WI 27April2018

Pasque Flower, Black Earth Rettenmund Prairie, Dane Co, WI 27April2018

Pasque Flower, Black Earth Rettenmund Prairie, Dane Co, WI 27April2018

Finally I arrived at my last stop at the edge of Driftless Area along what is known as the Johnstown Moraine. This is by far the most intriguing location in my birding patch. The habitat is high quality, unique and immensely underbirded. That's fine by me and part of the intrigue and attractiveness of this location. A large part of me feels guarded against speaking about it as I appreciate the solitude it affords despite its close proximity to highly-populated Madison. The last thing I want is to create a stir that would attract more people to this location. Ah, but the dog walkers know of this place. And per their usual, many I encounter ignore the rules regarding leashes. I have a plan with regards to these perpetually inconsiderate schmucks. More on that another time.

Bloodroot, Dane Co, WI 27April2018
Upon my arrival to the gorge, I spotted scattered bloodroot along a rocky slope.

Bloodroot, Dane Co, WI 27April2018
The stop to photograph these plants also yielded my FOY patch Broad-winged Hawk.

Broad-winged Hawk, Dane Co, WI 27April2018
Earlier this week, I found hepatica mostly in bud at this location. I returned yesterday to find the west-facing side of the gorge decorated in blooming hepatica, varying from white, to magenta to stunning bluish-purple.

Hepatica, Dane Co, WI 27April2018
Hepatica, Dane Co, WI 27April2018

Hepatica, Dane Co, WI 27April2018

Hepatica, Dane Co, WI 27April2018
Dutchman's breeches scattered the slope as well. Most buds were just emerging, but some plants were nearly in full bloom.

Dutchman's Breeches, Dane Co, WI 27April2018

Dutchman's Breeches, Dane Co, WI 27April2018
I expect in coming weeks the magic of what I've dubbed my "Secret Spot" will continue to reveal itself. I have lofty aspirations for what I might find in terms of spring migrants, ferns and forest blooming plants. Something to look forward too!


No comments:

Post a Comment