Friday, September 1, 2017

Too Fly for Warblers?

We have passed the mid-August point which roughly marks the onset of southward passerine migration. I was hoping to to get out in the early morning to catch some of the warblers before August's end. However when given the rare opportunity of sleeping versus rising early for birding, sleep has prevailed. Between work, hospitalizations of both parents, continuing projects at my new home and travel to Totality (still reeling from the bliss!) I cannot seem to shake a sense of perpetual exhaustion. 

Last Friday I made a lackluster attempt at birding for migrants. However, as most seasoned birders and those involved in passerine surveys well know, timing significantly impacts detection of passerines. Hence starting my one-hour birding effort midday was met with unimpressive results. 

But time outdoors is rarely lost on me. While midday can be a bust for birds, it's most often rewarding for insects. On this particular day, flies took center stage. 

Peacock flies! 



Initially I had been mostly seeing the ubiquitous Delphinia picta which I've photographed many times. 

Pictured Wing Fly, Dane Co, WI 25Aug2017
But on my passage along the trail back to my car, I began seeing several Peacock Flies. I have seen this species twice before with marginal photography results. Their constant movement and small stature (a few millimeters) makes them a challenge to photograph. The process is fun regardless of the results.






Peacock Flies are included in the class of flies commonly called "pictured wing flies" but carry the more appropriate common name which is likely a reference to the peacock-like patterning and blue iridescence in their wings.





Horse Flies were present too! To most this is just a nuisance biting insect. However I found this particular species, Striped Horse Fly, to be strikingly gorgeous! A search of Google images of various horse flies opened my awareness to what a great photography subject these insects can be. The eyes! Amazing and quite variabley patterned!



An Eastern Forktail damselfly. I've been trying to learn more about the Odes this summer and document my observations. I'm pretty clueless with the identification of this class of insects, but have it on good authority that I got this one correct for once! Again with much in nature, the colors and pattern differences of this insect class are intriguing. 


I also observed two awesome jumping spider species. This big, furry, cooperative specimen....



And this smaller fella. Different or same species? I'm too lazy to investigate. 


Before you know it passerine migration will be done and vagrant season will be upon us. Hopefully I can find the time and motivation to rise early on one of my free days to bid farewell to the jewels of forests. Fortunately my yard has attracted a few warblers so far this season including Chestnut-sided, Black-throated Green, Tennessee, Nashville (sitting on the can when I spotted this species) and American Redstart. So all is not lost on my preference to sleep! 

No comments:

Post a Comment