Friday, September 8, 2017

Fortunes of Fall

Timing and good fortune were with me yesterday as I ventured out to see if I could catch some fall warbler action at Pheasant Branch Conservancy in Middleton, WI.

Magnolia Warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 7Sept2017

Though I got another late morning start, I found several nice feeding flocks along the mile or so of the creek corridor. I totaled 14 warbler species, all of which were seen within the first hour.

Nashville Warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 7Sept2017
Had I arrived shortly after noon, I likely would have had a much different experience given activity had quieted considerably when I retraced my path over the first half of my walk.

American Redstart, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 7Sept2017

Lighting was low, the foliage was dense and birds were on the move feeding on the ample insects to fuel the next leg of their journey south.

Magnolia Warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 7Sept2017

The process of observing behavior through my lens was far more rewarding than the resulting images.

Tennessee Warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 7Sept2017 
Despite the relatively drab appearance of many of the fall warblers (Tennessee Warbler comes to mind as the most boring of the lot) I can appreciate the nuanced fall hues of certain species like the striking greens on the Chestnut-sided Warbler (sorry no pic) or the faint "bay" washed flanks of the Bay-breasted Warbler.

Bay-breasted Warbler, Dane Co, WI Sept 2015
I think I come to this thought quite often: What the hell is the color "bay" anyway? Did you say, "Google it?" Well I did. I learned bay is a reddish-brown hair coat color of horses. Horses! If I were the betting type, I would put money on the birding gods eventually changing this common name to something more fitting of birds.




A few adult male American Redstarts were around looking just as a brilliant as they do in the spring.

American Redstart male, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 7Sept2017

And "Wilson" too!

Wilson's Warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 7Sept2017

I would argue this fall plumage of the Common Yellowthroat is actually more striking than its spring colors.

Common Yellowthroat, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 7Sept2017

There were plenty of vireos around as well, mostly of the Red-eyed variety. I was hoping for a dance with a "Philly," but settled for eye-level views of this Yellow-throated instead. This species breeds in southern Wisconsin. But since I've had little time to bird this summer, I haven't seen one in a few months. So I was grateful for the obliging views.

Yellow-throated Vireo, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 7Sept2017
Looking ahead to all things nature, I hope to round out my year list of Wisconsin orchids with a some fall-blooming spiranthes species. A visit or two to western Dane County and/or Sauk County in the next week should do the trick. I've done well on my 2017 orchid quest and hope to compile a summary of the orchids I've catalogued this year.

I continue to relish my new yard and am often quite content remaining at home to admire my nearby surroundings. There are still plenty of interesting critters to observe as far as insects go. In addition, migrant birds have been steadily visiting in recent weeks. I believe I am up to five warbler species for the yard with very little effort. I've also tallied at least 4 individual Ruby-throated hummingbirds and I have a Barred Owl that continues to hoot near my bedroom window most evenings. Perhaps strange to some, the resident American Crows are at the top of my list of favorite yard birds. Given their high intelligence I am intrigued by their behavior and wish I had more time to study them.

Until the next time enjoy all this changing season has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment