Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Remains of the Day

Yesterday I greeted the day apologizing to the birds for my having missed their finest hours, those first few in first light. These buoyant colorful creatures made another fine showing while I remained roosting under comforters and within the comforts of my mind.

My nocturnal habits and dress are clearly much more suited to the owls and nightjars. However darkness is hardly conducive to capturing any worthwhile images.

I intentionally scheduled work for the afternoon to allow bird time in the prime morning hours. Yet when that alarm sounded, the back of the my eyelids felt more magnetic than the lure of neotropical migrants.

Cerulean Warbler, male. Carlin Trl, Jefferson Co

With what little bird time remained of my day, I did manage to sneak in a quick stop along Carlin Trail in the Southern Kettle Moraine where Cerulean and Hooded Warblers, and Acadian Flycatchers breed. By late morning, no Hooded Warblers were observed. However both Acadian Flycatcher and Cerulean Warbler were present and quite vocal.

Cerulean Warbler (female) playing peek-a-boo
The Cerulean Warblers were numerous and traveling in pairs, singing and getting on with the business of procreating. They left me longing for more... and perhaps with some regret for not rising enthusiastically to the greet them at the beginning of this day.

Peek-a-boo female Cerulean Warbler, S. Kettle Moraine 18May2016









No comments:

Post a Comment