Monday, August 24, 2020

Under the Pandemic: April 2020

April heralded in a nice selection of regionally rare birds for Dane Co (Wisconsin) including this Ruff.
Ruff, Schumacher Rd Ponds, Dane Co, WI 27April20 

I added three county lifers, Cattle Egret, Yellow Rail and Cinnamon Teal. The Cinnamon Teal had the added bonus of being in my 7.5 mile radius birding patch.

Cattle Egret, Waunakee, Dane Co, WI 29April20

Though seen for only a split second, the Yellow Rail was pretty cool to witness as it "tick-tick-ticked" mere feet from us. Plus this eve stands out in my memory since it was my first "social gathering" during the pandemic lock down. I met pals, Kyle and Shawn at Cherokee Marsh to search for the recently reported Yellow Rail. On my suggestion, we turned the chase into a mini Birds & Beers bringing beers in tow to the stakeout. It was a needed slice of normalcy. And the company and beer were excellent.

Birders reflected on a beer can waiting for the Yellow Rail, Cherokee Marsh, Dane Co, WI 25April20

Otherwise, birding was fairly low key for April despite being decent for vagrants. 

Winter Wren, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 17April20

I was more excited by the mammal encounters. The fox family at Pheasant Branch Conservancy entertained many trail users throughout April.





I also came across an American Mink on a few visits as well...


I visited Pheasant Branch more frequently this past spring than I had in recent years. During April, I was pleasantly surprised by the void of birders along the creek corridor. But there were plenty of other trail users including a plethora of Covidiots going commando along the busy trail. The runners and bikers were guiltiest of all in their lack of consideration for spreading the virus to others. They rarely observed the recommended 6 foot wide birth as they passed. These assholes with their forcefully expired droplets were unnerving to encounter during my nature forays. They stoked my fears of contracting the virus. Though not enough to keep me holed up at home. I was sure I would contract COVID-19 and be among the worst case scenarios. The fears gripped me enough to motivate me to prepare my advanced directives. I ensured I would not be subjected to artificial airways and what would surely be a life of disability in the wake of COVID-19 should I be so unlucky as to contract a severe case.

Though frowned upon, I ventured off-trail both at Pheasant Branch and Stricker's Pond during the months of April and May. It felt like a necessity in order to feel safe being outdoors among the masses who seemed oblivious to the virus. I fondly recall the security of being hidden among the reed canary grass on the bank of Stricker's pond as I captured images of the displaying Red-necked Mergansers. Off trail. Secure.

Red-breasted Merganser, Stricker's Pond, Dane Co, WI 7April20

The outdoors provided needed relief during the early months of the pandemic when Wisconsin was on "lock down." However with thousands more people discovering the public green spaces for the first time, my freedom to visit some of my favorite bird haunts came under threat during April. The pigs in our state vandalized, littered and invaded certain parks to a degree where safety and public health were at risk. Hence several state parks and green spaces were closed indefinitely starting in April. This is included my beloved "gorge." This hidden gem had never seen the crowds that threatened public health. Yet it fell under some blanket order of being closed likely due to its proximity to the more densely populated Madison. On the day before its closure, I rushed out to visit this gem one last time. The closure forced me to miss the unfolding of spring ephemerals in the gorge. My plans to boost my species list for this haunt were squashed for 2020. And as time passed within this cluster fuck of pandemic, I let go of planning. I let go of my imaginary battles for control. 


Mid-April I found an American Bittern at one of my other favorite bird haunts, an ephemerally flooded area of Black Earth Creek on the west side of Middleton (now formally known as Black Earth Creek Headwaters since Dane Co acquired significant acreage to expand this natural area). Following my move to Madison in 2017, this place quickly became one of my go-to patch spots for waterfowl and shorebirds. I was particularly fond of going here because few birders visited this site. In fact, I had never crossed paths with any birders during my many visits. Well that changed when I eBirded the American Bittern. Though not rare, it somehow became a chase bird for over a dozen birders. And now the cat was out of the bag about this worthy bird haunt. I no longer had the place to myself...

Pine Warbler, Ice Age Complex Cross Plains, Dane Co WI, 19April20

As you can imagine, my first warbler of the year was Yellow-rumped. I added my second warbler species, Pine shortly thereafter. My favorite pandemic Pine Warbler encounter was my yard lifer that visited my feeders to snack on the peanut suet for 6 days.

Pine Warbler, Bittersweet home, Madison, WI 23April20

The last day of April ushered in my third warbler species, Northern Waterthrush along with a handful of migrants including this stunning Scarlet Tanager. 

Scarlet Tanager, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 30April20 

Once again, April closed sans any impressive warbler push. However Nature delivered in awe-inspiring ways nonetheless. 

Searching for a rarity among the gulls and lapland longspurs. Dane Co, WI 20Apr20

APRIL STATS

Pandemic Life List Species: 132
Pandemic Warbler Count: 3
Pandemic Owl Count: 3
Favorite Bird Sighting: Breeding plumaged Ruff (4/27)
Notables: Patch lifer Cinnamon Teal (4/18). Dane County lifers, Yellow Rail (4/25), Cattle Egret (4/23). 

No comments:

Post a Comment