Thursday, September 27, 2018

Early Spring Nugget



After hitting it hard on the birding front this spring, my time spent birding dramatically fell off during the summer all the way through this fall migration. 

Being my first full green season in my new home, much of my "free" time was occupied with cultivating my yard to be more enticing to birds and pollinators. The other portions of my "free" time gravitated toward orchids, butterflies and insects. All in all I have to say, birding mostly in my backyard for last 4 months has had the benefit of adding several bird and insect species to my yard list.But I'll save that for another post...


When I look back on the incredible spring birding I witnessed this year, these owls take gold as the best birding patch nugget of spring and likely all of 2018. Any day I see an owl is a damn good day.


What was thought to be one, turned out to be three!


Ah the owls. Relatively uncommon owls. Fortunately it seems these owls escaped the circus that can often ensue around such captivating birds.

Most of the images I captured were digiscoped including this video of the owls preening. For the most part, they appeared oblivious to my presence.


Well except for this stink-eye... 


Here's lookin' at ya!

Winter is coming...but not before fall vagrant season is upon us! There's nothing like a juicy vagrant to fire up the birding adrenaline!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that wink picture. I have only seen an owl once and that was just a fly by when I opened the barn doors and it flew over my head like a jet plane and scared the fuck outta me.

    Cyn , I love your pics. I look at these but forget to comment. xoxox

    ReplyDelete