Sunday, January 7, 2018

New Year's 2018

On New Year's Day I was one of many crazed Wisconsin birders who ventured out in the subzero temperatures to see what feathered friends survived the raging parties the night before. Actually I think eBird and the re-setting of yearly lists provides great motivation for birding on January 1st. Even those who do not eBird speak of "getting a jump" on their annual lists. I suppose I would have to admit the re-setting of the lists contributes to part of my enthusiasm for birding on New Year's Day. Though more and more I enjoy it simply for the sake of tradition as well as the camaraderie of sharing the day with other hardy birders.

In Madison, my day started at -9 °F. It was one of those snot-freezing days where deep inspiration through my nares resulted in split-second moments of nasal occlusion from the freezing moisture (aka snot). The wind chill was deep within the negative double digits. My legs stung from the freeze. I rapidly concluded birding sans snow pants was a bad call...

Ah but there was glorious sunshine and this fine little creature to warm my soul, the UW Arboretum Townsend's Solitaire.

Townsend's Solitaire, UW Arboretum, Madison, WI 1Jan2018
These were not the warmer temperatures I was hoping for when I spoke of revisiting this bird. Fortunately I avoided any painfully frigid waiting. Instead the bird was obligingly perched in the open upon my arrival to the "juniper knoll" of the Longenecker Gardens. The bird made a clockwork appearance just before 9:00 a.m. I admired it in the company of a few other birders who were present when I arrived. However I quickly found myself alone with the bird as the other birders quickly moved on to other birds and perhaps warmer temperatures. Such one-on-one crushing bird moments are pretty much what I live for. I watched the solitaire feed on the juniper berries, fly to its perch, poop and repeat. The bird seemed oblivious to my presence, focused on the basic needs of nutrition and hydration.

Townsend's Solitaire, UW Arboretum, Madison, WI 1Jan2018
After a spell of gorging on juniper berries, the solitaire descended to a low horizontal trunk where it delighted me with outstanding eye-level views while it perched in the sun and ate snow.  

It was difficult to walk away from a bird that was so cooperative. I could have lingered much longer, giving into my obsessive desire to perfect photos of this bird. But alas bird photos are a dime a dozen and I am but an amateur at this...and the day was calling. There were other birds to see. Plus it was cold and time to start moving to get warm.


Townsend's Solitaire, UW Arboretum, Madison, WI 1Jan2018

So I peeled myself away for a 3.5 mile hike along the arboretum trails which was more exposure to the bitter cold than I intended. My original plan was to minimize time outside and do more car birding. However the lure of exploring the arboretum woods for new year birds kept me moving along the trails. I was looking for familiar birds that had been present at 2017's end as well seeking those less common species that over-winter in small numbers in Wisconsin. Think Hermit Thrush and Fox Sparrow. I had not seen either species around the arboretum in recent months but both were good bets for January 1st. Great Blue Heron should have been an even better bet. One had been seen at the Big Spring up through December 31st. However it was not seen January 1st. 

Same goes for the Yellow-rumped Warbler that was present in the company of the Townsend's Solitaire during the final days of December. It too was MIA on January 1st. In fact I don't believe I have seen any reports for this species for Dane County in 2018. Then again, I have not been in the loop with social media birding reports for quite some time. So I cannot speak with much authority as to what others are reporting outside of eBird.

Yellow-rumped Warbler, UW Arboretum, Madison, WI 29Dec2017
I also checked for what is probably one of the most photographed owls in Madison, the UW arboretum Eastern Screech-owl (like there is ONLY one in the whole arboretum, hehe). He too was absent... or perhaps just tucked deep within his roost hole. I have not seen him since late November though others reported him in mid-December. 

Eastern Screech-owl, UW Arboretum, Madison, WI 27Nov2017
It's been a good year for Red-breasted Nuthatches in southern Wisconsin. The arboretum has been hosting at least a few of this irruptive species. They continued their presence into the New Year.


What do the nuthatches do during these arctic blasts? Like the Townsend's Solitaire, they eat snow!



How about all those Pine Siskins found around the Longenecker Gardens last month? Oddly I heard only one on January 1st. Instead, Common Redpolls were more numerous, a species I did not see in southern Wisconsin in 2017.

And yes, I did pick up my year Fox and White-throated Sparrows while birding the arboretum. The Fox Sparrow (pictured below) was found with 2 others at the Spring Trail Pond along with a White-throated Sparrow. This is a traditional location where I and other New Year's birders have gotten this species over the past few years. Though a Hermit Thrush was seen by what is referred to as the Icke Boardwalk, I missed this species since I seemingly struggle with navigating the arboretum trails to find this location. Soon enough early spring will bring many more Hermit Thrush into Wisconsin.

Fox Sparrow, UW Arboretum, Madison, WI 1Jan2018
Unlike 2016 and 2017, I did not put in a "big day" effort for this January 1st. I birded most of the day but at a more leisurely pace with no intent of chasing after every duck species present on the limited open water in Dane county. Truly there is no rush to see all the birds on the first day. Most of the birds present now will be around for the next few months and some throughout the year. 

I keep telling myself I should take the opportunity with this cold weather to get some projects completed indoors, take a break from birding, read, acquire more knowledge, learn a new skill... Yet I find myself yearning for the next adventure and forever opting for the outdoors over the banal responsibilities of data entry or house projects. Alas there are so many directions to go. With no new year goals in mind, free will is my pilot in 2018. What happens next is anyone's guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment