Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Everything's Coming Up Merlin




I decided to make a few quick birding stops in Jefferson County (WI) on my way from work today in hopes of adding a few more species to my year list for this county. I visited some spots along the Rock and Oconomowoc rivers where open water was recently reported. While I didn't find any of the recently eBirded species I was seeking, my stop along the Rock River in Watertown was more than I could ask for, another Merlin!  Along with the flyover Cedar Waxwing flock and a female Wood Duck, I added three new Jefferson County year birds.




Today's dismal light and distance to the bird presented a challenge unlike Sunday's Merlin crush. I made the best of the situation, opting to digiscope...

The joy of getting lost in birding these days feels unparalleled. It seems a bit magical to lay glass on these small falcons and watch them strike various poses. These nuggets of golden moments are seeming the only bright spots in the drudgery of my current American existence. This is the bubble I want to remain in for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment