Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Week 10: On the Rails

No, not the bird...

Nothing like my blogging getting derailed by 9 days of photos from birding the Lower Rio Grande Valley during my eighth visit since 2009. I feel bogged down with post-processing bird photos, winter in Wisconsin and the devastation otherwise known as Scott Walker consuming this state,.



Alrighty, so this post isn't really much about birds, but I did get out for a hike yesterday in the Southern Kettle Moraine State Forest. While I was hoping for more birds with temps warming up, the woods were eerily quiet in the afternoon sun. However en route to my destination I did find my FOY Northern Shrike. Not the greatest photo, but one of my favorite Wisconsin winter birds.



While hiking, I opted to travel sans zoom lens so bird photography was a no-go. I predicted the photo ops would be few and indeed I was correct. The only bird I viewed with any photo potential was a Downy Woodpecker. I'm not knocking common, but that species is, well, COMMON.

So instead I traveled with my lightweight Nikon V1 and its 18mm lens taking macro and scenery photos.

It feels good to take in the blue sky and sunshine...




Especially when life feels like this...


Although most plant life remains dormant. I managed to find some interesting holdouts from last season...
Indian Pipe



Now will I ever get around to posting about my Texas birding forays? We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment