Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Willets!

 Willet? Why yes, it will.


Yesterday was slow on the passerine front. 

...though any birding spent in the company of a Carolina Wren is hardly banal

Distracted by chores in the yard, I did not get out birding until late morning. No worries since I believe I did not miss much during the morning rush of birds. After a slow birding and quick stop at a section of the Pheasant Branch creek corridor, I stopped by the Black Earth Creek headwaters where hundreds of Bonaparte's Gulls continued but the few common shorebirds I had seen on Saturday had moved on. The situation was setting up to be a slow day for birds all around. Until I arrived at Shovelers Sink...


I set up my scope pointed north to where the majority of shorebirds congregate. Bam! Large wading shorebirds. Cryptically colored.

But splendidly brilliant! Especially when they spread their wings!

WILLETS!


I missed this bird entirely for Wisconsin in 2020, so finding TWENTY-SEVEN at Shovelers Sink was damn thrilling! 


The best birds are those unexpectedly encountered. WILLETS. Zen.


XOXO~

BirdBitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment