Thursday, January 14, 2021

Under the Pandemic: May 2020

We have reached the ten o'clock hour here in the Midwest. I am three craft beers into my evening, having passed the time trying to assimilate chaos back to order. Not ready yet for sleep, I thought I would try to fire off a post about May 2020...This was the beginning of this post back on December 10th. That's just how I roll. Busy, fatigued, incomplete.

Blackburnian Warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 13May2020

Gosh May feels so unbelievably remote at this point...because it is!!!


Black-and-white warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 3May2020

There were no fallout moments for sure. Steady as she goes. 

Yellow-rumped Warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 3May2020

Sure May came with some warbler crushing moments except for the lack of light and limitation on my optics.

Canada Warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 13May20 

I toy with the idea of purchasing a better camera body equipped to handle low light without the NOISE. But every time I look at the 2.5K to 4.5K price tags, I check myself against my swelling desire to GO TROPICAL. Get the fuck out of dodge. Back to South America. Do you want more THINGS or more EXPERIENCES. I WANT MORE EXPERIENCES. EVERY. TIME.

Wire-crested Thorntail, Wild Sumaco Lodge, Ecuador, 25Feb2014

I want South America so badly. I'll settle for Central America. I simply want to travel. When it comes to tropical travels do I really need the costly expense of two weeks of guided listing? Heck no. I would be happy with an in-depth week planted in close proximity to tropical hummingbird feeders. I could care less about wracking up the numbers for my world list. I just so desperately CRAVE travel. Warm, soothing, hot, sweaty, moist South American haunts. 

Rufous-breasted Flycatcher, Guango Lodge, Ecuador 22Feb2014

But here I am in COVID HELL Wisconsin, ReTrumplican America biding my time. Capitalizing on COVID 19 as the most convenient excuse ever to avoid one-on-one socialization, keeping my sacred panic prone self insulated BUT STIR-CRAZY.

Magnolia Warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 12May20

So back to May 2020. 

Least Bittern, Dunn's Marsh, Dane Co, 12May20

May, let's see....suddenly as the weather warmed my favorite bird haunts became crowded even more with COVIDIOTS. I managed the onslaught of millions of Americans discovering Nature with great annoyance at the increased litter, vandalism, off-leash dog shit, noise, and disregard for social distancing. But I also used the pandemic and continue to this day to ward off the unwelcome approach of humans by assertively telling folks to back off were in a pandemic or shouting, "SOCIAL DISTANCING!"

May, the month that I had always equated to the "Christmas for birders" has devolved into this strange month of neotropical migrants amidst shadows of ghosts and skeletons. 

Palm Warbler, Patrick Marsh, Dane Co, 11May20 

It is what is. I cross paths. Eyes down.  Glazed over. Hold my breath. The moment passes and I lose myself in the next neotropical migrant. 

Golden-winged Warbler, Marshall Park, Dane Co, WI 2May20

During May 2020 it became apparent the GAME was ON as never before for Dane County listing. It was clear a large faction of mostly transient Madison residents were embarking on a Dane County Big Year. 

Northern Parula, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 14May20

I had followed the Sax-Zim Bog Telegram Chat group over the winter despite not visiting the place. Being impressed with how bird sightings were shared via Telegram as well my disenchantment with Facebook, I created a Telegram Chat group for Dane County birding which took off immediately and has facilitated rather efficient reporting and relocation of desirable bird species in Dane Co. 

Summer Tanager, Vilas Park, Dane Co, 19May20

Spring migration 2020 was notable for cooperative and abundant views of Black-throated Blue warbler...

Black-throated Blue Warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, 14May20

And Cerulean...well not always cooperative and certainly poor light when they were more confiding. 

Cerulean Warbler, Pheasant Branch Conservancy, Dane Co, WI 10May20

The shorebirds were decent in northern Dane County but grossly lacking in my 7.5 MR birding patch. However inland terns were abundant. Common Tern appeared in spades becoming a patch and Dane County lifer.

Common Tern, Black Earth Creek headwaters, Dane Co, WI 14May20

I also added Glossy Ibis to my Dane County life list but sadly this bird was not in my patch. In fact there were no sexy wading birds to be had. 

Glossy Ibis, Oak Patton Ponds, Dane Co, WI 20May20

Nine Springs kicked up a few goodies such as an inland Sanderling and Franklin's Gull, but nothing exceptional. Just as Nine Springs started producing coveted shorebirds, Madison Metropolitan Sewage District decided to officially close the area for no apparent good reason. Sure we were dealing with uncertainty around COVID-19 but this place consists of retired poop ponds that have never been known to be over-run with crowds. What newly-christened outdoor enthusiast wants to hang out by some old shit holes? Its closure was senseless and forced birders to convene on a crowded boardwalk and overlook on the perimeter of the property in search of migrating shorebirds and uncommon gulls. I saw the scene and said "fuck it" to the closure signs. Some rules were meant to be broken. 

American Avocet, Nine Springs, Dane Co, WI 15May20

I closed out May exhausted per the usual and ready to rest on my comfortable lead in the WI 7.5 MR (mile radius) local patch challenge. I was sitting at 209 species and at a loss for energy to maintain the current pace. Kentucky Warbler was a notable miss for Dane Co and would likely not be found in June. I was also ZERO for any phalaropes in my patch. Nonetheless I could not complain about the birds that crossed my path. The constant flow of birds was exhiliarating despite no fallout moments. Sadly those seem to be tales of lore on our path to extinction.

Bay-breasted Warbler resting among the feast of midges, 24May20

May ended memorably with the last push of warblers I witnessed on the 24th at Marshall Park. A combination of favorable winds and an impressive midge hatch resulted in sizable feeding flocks of migrants including Bay-breasted, Mourning and Blackpoll Warblers along with my FOY Black-billed Cuckoo and an uncommonly encountered female Summer Tanager. It was all about timing and will help shape my future birding during spring migration. 

Summer Tanager, Marshall Park, Dane Co, WI 24May20

May Stats:

  • 2020 7.5 MR Patch Total: 209
  • Year patch birds added in May: 75
  • Life Patch Birds added in May: 1
  • Dane County Life Birds added in May: 3
  • Dane Life Bird species: Neotropical Cormorant, Glossy Ibis, Common Tern
  • FOY shorebirds: 8
  • FOY Warblers: 26
  • Total Warbler Species seen in May: 30 
  • Highlights: Least Bittern, Glossy Ibis, both male and female Summer Tanager, Hooded Warbler
  • Lowlights: 


No comments:

Post a Comment