Wednesday, September 5, 2018

More Cow Path!

Saturday, August 25th, following my last trip north for hummingbird banding, I stopped on a whim to search for northern Wisconsin tiger beetles. Heading south through Vilas county, I spotted some promising sand on my Google satellite map. I could have continued south to chase a Wisconsin life Swallow-tailed Kite. Instead I opted to take advantage of one of my last opportunities of the year to find Cow Path and Boreal Long-lipped tiger beetles. Plus I figured if the kite stuck I could chase it another day.

Cow Path Tiger Beetle (Cicindela purpurea purpurea) , Vilas Co, WI 25Aug2018
I highly desired to find a Cow Path tiger beetle since I had only seen this species on one other occasion a few years ago. My wager on tiger beetles paid off in spades. I found both Cow Path and Boreal Long-lipped tiger beetles along with a numerous collection of a few other species.

Cow Path Tiger Beetle (Cicindela purpurea purpurea) , Vilas Co, WI 25Aug2018
This entomological honeypot didn't just host Cow Path and Boreal Long-lipped tiger beetles, but also an overall abundance of tiger beetles that I have not witnessed before.

Vilas County "honey pot"
In addition to the two Cow Path tiger beetles pictured above, I estimated seventy Cicindela scutellaris lecontei (Festive),

Festive Tiger Beetle (Cicindela scutellaris lecontei), Vilas Co, 25Aug2018

Festive Tiger Beetle (Cicindela scutellaris lecontei), Vilas Co, 25Aug2018

Eighteen Cicindela formosa generosa (Big Sand),

Big Sand Tiger Beetle (Cicindela formosa generosa), Vilas Co, WI 25Aug2018

Big Sand Tiger Beetle (Cicindela formosa generosa), Vilas Co, WI 25Aug2018

eight Cicindela tranquebarica tranquebarica (Oblique),

Obliqued-lined Tiger Beetle (Cicindela tranquebarica tranquebarica), Vilas Co, WI 25Aug2018

and one Cicindela longilabris longilabris (Borel Long-lipped).

Boreal Long-lipped Tiger Beetle (Cicindela longilabris longilabris0, Vilas Co., WI 25August2018
The abundance of Festive tiger beetles made for a nice study of the variation in maculations seen on this species. Ten to twelve beetles were visible at a time as we methodically moved forward along a short stretch of sand two-track. Most were quite skittish, intolerable of close approach. Hence the doc shot quality of some of these photos. 

 A few butterflies and other insects were present as well. However I was too immersed in the tiger beetles to bother with identifying most of the other insects presents. I did find this obliging buffalo tree hopper right before my flash battery died.



And I even got the Swallow-tailed Kite the following day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment