Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Between Then and Now

Time truly waits for no one. One glance over my shoulder assures me of that. Where did the glorious days of mid-May go? What has only been a month since spring migration's climax, feels like no less than six.

Time is peculiar like that. It unpredictably expands and contracts. Three weeks can feel like a year ago, while three years (facilitated by petulant reminders) can feel like mere weeks removed.

White Lady Slipper, Dane Co, WI 26May2018
By far, time mostly expands, full of countless blissful imprints of nature and people coming together in an elevated symphony that drowns out the dark noise.

White Lady Slipper, Dane Co, WI 26May2018
The perspective of time and its infinite wisdom teaches me that something which can feel like a penance at its onset is actually a gift in disguise, a gift that thrusted me on a journey toward freedom from oppression. Survival feels grand. Indeed a gift.

The interim since the passing of spring migration has been brimming with activity. Between then and now nature has continued evolving in all her seemingly infinite ephemeral expressions. I have been there chasing her ever-changing mood. Harnessing her beauty in slivers of time. Stacking memories and images along the way.

Showy Orchis, Pleasant Valley SNA, Dane Co 25May2018
As soon as migration waned, I made haste to find the earlier spring-blooming orchids.

White lady slipper in northern Dane County,

White Lady Slipper, Dane Co, WI 26May2018

Yellow Lady Slipper at Pleasant Valley in Western Dane County


Yellow Lady Slipper, Pleasant Valley SNA, Dane Co 25May2018

...and my lifer, Showy Orchis.

Showy Orchis, Pleasant Valley SNA, Dane Co 25May2018
I have returned to "The Gorge" many times to immerse myself in its spring transformation. I continue to relish in the seclusion available to me so near, yet seemingly so far, from the bustle of the busy Madison area.

Acadian Flycatcher, "The Gorge," Dane Co, WI 25May2018
My yard and gardens have demanded tremendous time as I strive to add more native plants as well as exotic annuals to attract more birds and pollinators.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird, my yard, Dane Co, WI 2June2018
I have meandered to several state natural areas including Hemlock Draw, Black Earth Rettenmund Prairie, Pleasant Valley, Town Corner Cedars, Dunbar Barrens, Kissick Alkaline Bog and Parrish Oak Savanna.

Dragon's Mouth Orchid, Sawyer Co, 17June2018
I have traveled north to Marinette County for my breeding bird surveys with some orchids and insects sprinkled in along the way...
Kirtland's Warbler, Marinette Co, WI 10June2018
...and to Sauk, Washburn and Rusk counties for hummingbird banding with more nature squeezed in my limited down-time between banding three locations.

Pink Lady Slippers "in spades," Marinette Co, WI 10June2018
I've logged nine orchid species, numerous robberflies, dragonflies and butterflies, six tiger beetle species and banded over two hundred and fifty Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.

Six-spotted Tiger Beetle, Ferry Bluff SNA, Sauk Co, 27May2018
Boreal Long-lipped Tiger Beetle, Dunbar Barrens SNA, Marinette Co, WI 11June2018

Small Round-leaved Orchis, Sawyer Co, WI 17June2018
Other than the purposeful effort of finding select orchids, nature has mostly revealed herself in an incidental and always rewarding manner.

Showy Orchid, Sawyer Co, WI 17June2018

Pink Lady Slipper,  Marinette Co, WI 10June2018

Life has been busy and will remain so for the foreseeable future. I hope to find time to consolidate and log my observations here. However time will not wait for me. So for now, onward I go!

1 comment: