Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The Dark Side of Winter's Extension

When I last posted I made reference to the survival of some migrants and recently arrived breeders being dependent on a reprieve from the recurring winter we have been experiencing in Wisconsin. I mentioned it somewhat flippantly, erring on the side of hope that our temps would quickly rebound and the birds who have always amazed me with their tenacity would be on the upside of this insane extension of winter.

Swamp Sparrow, My yard, Madison, Dane Co, WI 17April2018
Then today, southern Wisconsin was hammered with yet another snowstorm. This was the scene from my backyard early this afternoon.

My yard, Madison, WI 18April2018
The reality of the past couple days has been revealing itself one report after another:
  • 17 Tree Swallows found expired in bluebird boxes in Waukesha County
  • 1 Eastern Bluebird found expired in a bluebird box in Milwaukee County
  • 2 Eastern Phoebes and 1 Golden-crowned Kinglet found expired in Milwaukee County
  • Crisis alerts posted from the area wildlife rehabilitation centers with reports of taking in record numbers of starving birds: American Robins half their weight, an emaciated Yellow Rail in Dane County that later expired... The list goes on...
  • Many birders are reporting seeing lethargic birds along dangerous roadsides desperately seeking bare ground and nutritional resources. 
  • A friend in Marathon County reported walking up to several lethargic, starving American Robins and easily catching them. These birds were taken to rehab.


The gravity of the situation is now all too apparent.


I hate to sound grim, but those Purple Martins that had just returned to southern Wisconsin late last week have probably expired. 

Birds are expiring despite efforts to stock nest boxes/houses with mealworms.

Mother Nature seems pissed. This feels like bad karma, the result of too many folks balking at the inconvenient truth that is climate change. The birds are paying the price.


And what about the Eastern Phoebes? Last Thursday I counted 5-6 along a 3/4 mile stretch of creek. Yesterday despite the reprieve from the snow, I could not find any along that same stretch. I told myself it may have simply been the time of day. But then I read about the expired Eastern Phoebes in Milwaukee and the other niggling possibility of their demise suddenly seemed quite plausible. 


The sunny conditions of yesterday afternoon had me hopeful the worst was behind us. The birds in my yard seemed to be faring quite well. Many of the same species from the first storm had returned in greater vigor. They seemed less desperate, less bedraggled, recovering and replenishing nutritional reserves for the next leg of the journey.

Hermit Thrush, my yard, 17April2018
American Tree Sparrow, my yard, 17April2018

The sun came out in the afternoon and temperatures rose into the 40s. Evidence of winter's most recent blast was diminishing. Hope was springing eternal...

Pileated Woodpecker, Middleton, WI 17April2018
Birds were active, seemingly in good condition. Strong flights. Singing, feeding, engaging in territorial disputes. All seemed to be returning to normal. 

American Woodcock, Middleton, WI 17April2018
I flushed two American Woodcock during a creekside stroll. They were in a sheltered gorge presumably seeking a scarce supply of earthworms. Superficially they appeared in good health. I do hope that was the case.

Eastern Bluebird, Walking Iron Park, Dane Co, WI 18April2018
I was relieved to encounter a pair of Eastern Bluebirds during an evening walk in western Dane County. Yay! They dodged the bullet of winter's most recent blast.

But an impending resurgence of winter was on its way... Would it come in the form of mostly rain or snow? 

Fox Sparrow in the snow, my backyard, 18April2018
By early this afternoon it was clear the answer was snow, and lots of it. The yard was quickly blanketed in several inches. It continues to fall as I write. 

I arrived home mid afternoon, shoveled some bare areas for the birds and distributed more seed and mealworms. Finding my five pound bucket of mealworms nearly depleted, I went into panic mode. It seemed critical I have an ample supply of mealworms for another stressful 24 hours for the birds.

Black-capped Chickadee, a hearty regular diner of mealworms, my yard 18April2018
Therefore despite the hazardous road conditions, I headed out in the storm on a quest for mealworms. I arrived at Mounds on the west side of Madison to learn they had sold out of mealworms this morning! My back-up, Menard's, was also sold out. Fortunately I had remembered seeing mealworms at Jung's Garden Center on a recent errand. They had plenty in stock. At least for the sake of the birds in my yard, a crisis was averted. Plenty of food will be available to weather the storm in my neck of woods. Tomorrow I expect to wake to the "way" calls of the hermit thrush that has been roosting in the evergreen outside my bedroom window. I will dutifully rise to do my small part to help the visitors in my yard survive what I hope is truly the last snowstorm of the season. Enough already!

Hermit Thrush, my backyard, 18April2018
As for the aerial insectivores and various other bird species in peril in the wake of these winter storms, it's heartbreaking to consider the devastation ensuing. We are only beginning to understand the bird losses of recent days. The coming months will certainly reveal the rest of the story. Undoubtedly this spring will go down as one of the more ruthless for the birds, or make that against. 






No comments:

Post a Comment